Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Thursday 17 January 2008 14:18:29 Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:26:10PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> > >   Just to clarify - so in this model unplugging and replugging in an
> > >   ethernet cable would be expected to run a script which would kill
> > >   and potentially restart dhcpdc?
> >
> > Yes, as there is no guarantee the the cable you unplugged is the same
> > one you plug in. For example, you could be configuring your network
> > based on arpinging set gateways. Here's a sample config you could
> > achieve with this in Gentoo.
>
> This is exactly why I asked for the DHCP client to deal with this. Keep
> the currently configured lease and try to validate it / get a new one.
> This is what Windows is doing with the exception of dropping the old
> lease when it can't get a new one. This is the most sensible behaviour.

You've just described how every DHCP client operates without a link manager.
If you simply want the link manager to attempt a DHCP renewal (which is what I
think you're asking for) then it can simply call

dhcpcd -n $iface

The DHCP client shouldn't make this assumption as the user may have a more
exotic automated network setup.

Thanks

Roy