Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 04:26:10PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> >     Just to clarify - so in this model unplugging and replugging in an
> >     ethernet cable would be expected to run a script which would kill
> >     and potentially restart dhcpdc?
> >

> Yes, as there is no guarantee the the cable you unplugged is the same
> one you plug in. For example, you could be configuring your network
> based on arpinging set gateways. Here's a sample config you could
> achieve with this in Gentoo.

This is exactly why I asked for the DHCP client to deal with this. Keep
the currently configured lease and try to validate it / get a new one.
This is what Windows is doing with the exception of dropping the old
lease when it can't get a new one. This is the most sensible behaviour.

Joerg