Re: DHCP client with minimal functionality and size

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 14:30 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 10:27:39AM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
> > That's the sell, but it also doesn't match all the SoC requirements.
> > 1) It does not interact with the kernel DHCP part in any way.
>
> IMO this is a weak requirement anyway. It would be nice if it can get
> thte lease from the kernel at start time, but it shouldn't strictly be
> necessary.

It can re-request the lease based on how the interface is currently
configured using the -r option. It does not do this by default. That
should be satisfactory.

> > 2) It does not interact with WLAN keys in any way or form (and shouldn't
> > either imo)
>
> It should only be able to deal with link changes.

Hmmmm. I disagree here. Link managers, such as wpa_supplicant, should
call a generic network script to say "link up/down" and then either
configure static ip or do dhcp.

Gentoo uses this approach very well. Although I am slightly biased as I
wrote that part of Gentoo ;) This is going outside the scope of this
discussion though.

> > 3) It's marginally bigger than 10k on i386.
>
> That's ok.
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look at the code.

Great! It's currently being re-formatted so that it looks good in
editors that don't use my vim rules though.

Thanks

Roy