Re: Kernel module framework status?

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 12:32 AM, John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> wrote:
On May 3, 10:54pm, Mouse wrote:
}
} >      There is also the idea of having a module specify the device(s)
} > it handles by vendor:product
}
} Isn't that rather restrictive in what buses it permits supporting?

     I suppose that other types of identifiers could be used.

} Indeed, PCI (and close relatives, like PCIe) and USB are the only
} things I can name offhand that even _have_ vendor:product.  (Of course,
} I'm sure there are lots of buses out there I've never heard of, or
} don't know enough about.)

     Only buses where the devices are identified would work.  For
buses like ISA where you have to probe the devices, it would not
be workable.

Don't forget that ISA buses have ISAPNP as an option, so it's more of a mixed bus. But yea, this can old work on self-enumerating, self-identifying buses.

}-- End of excerpt from Mouse

Warner