Re: How to read crash log of NetBSD 7.0.2?

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Thomas Mueller wrote:

One problem with serial console is that they are out of production, very difficult to get.

Hmmm, I have not experienced this...

What do you do if you have no serial console and they are no longer
commercially available?

Motherboards now come without serial or parallel ports.  ...

All of my recent systems have had a COM0 port available.  Not always
as an external DB-9 (or, more properly, DE-9), but at least there's a
header on the MoBo.  It's fairly easy to find a header-to-DE-9 cable
(see [1] below).

FWIW, I almost always use ASUS motherboards...

[1] https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Serial-Motherboard-Header-PLATE9M16/dp/B001Y1F0HW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488340048&sr=8-9&keywords=serial+port+adapter

Can a
USB-to-serial adapter be used, but then what about the console?

No idea if this will work.

FireWire is also disappearing from the market.

No surprise here - at leasat not to me.  I never saw much activity in
the FireWire space.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:      |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org |