Re: How to read crash log of NetBSD 7.0.2?

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:50:04PM +0800, Jia-Ju Bai wrote:
> After the rebooting of the crash, I do not see useful messages in
> /var/log/messages or using "dmesg" command. I find two files in /var/crash:
> netbsd.0.gz and netbsd.0.core.gz. And I uncompress them and open them using
> "vim", but they are not readable :(

> Hmm, in -current savecore(8), which is the utility saving the dump, will
> log the panic message. In general, for driver developement, using -current
> is not a bad idea.

> The file is a kvm target for gdb, but I don't know how well it works with
> modules in netbsd 7.

> > So how to read crash log of the system?
> > And how to let my "printf" messages show on the screen (or show on another
> > computer via serial port) ?

> Use serial console, it is the easiest way for kernel developement.
> See "man boot.cfg" and search for consdev.

> Martin

One problem with serial console is that they are out of production, very difficult to get.

What do you do if you have no serial console and they are no longer commercially available?

Motherboards now come without serial or parallel ports.  Can a USB-to-serial adapter be used, but then what about the console?

FireWire is also disappearing from the market.

Tom