Re: spurious DIAGNOSTIC message "no disk label"

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 06:02:01AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
 > >> I'm not sure wether disks without labels could be used at all in
 > >> 4.3bsd.
 >
 > >Those memories are pretty fuzzy, but I _think_ it worked this way:
 >
 > >4.3 did not have on-disk disklabels.
 >
 > 4.3tahoe added the on-disk disklabels for some drivers.

Really? And by 4.4 they'd already become so calcified it was
impossible to use a different partition table format natively?

I always thought the latter (and all the fun we've had with fdisk
tables ever since) was because the existing label format had been
around ~forever and was thus deeply baked in.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost