Snapshots in tmpfs

Hi folks,

when stumbling around in the wiki for interesting topics for my bachelor thesis I found this entry:
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/tmpfs-snapshot

I consider to work on that this summer.

What I've done so far:

*) spoke to a lecturer who is very interested in this topic and is prepared to supervise me.

*) spoke to two NetBSD developers personally. They said that are prepared to help me finding support in the community.

*) spent enough time working with C to feel confident with this task.

*) Made myself clear that the main purpose is a good thesis, which might not be ready for being committed to NetBSD, but might me a good source for others.

What information I need:

*)
I'm into this out of interest in filesystems and because I'm looking for challenge. Are there any other interesting filesystem topics (which might not be on the wiki) to work on?

*)
What is it good for? The only practical use I can imagine are backups on thin clients, which operate without a hard disk. But this is clearly far-fetched, in my eyes.

*) Are there folks out there who are interested in supporting me?

Regards,
Manuel Wiesinger