Re: remote kernel debugging over a network

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 11:34:44AM +0300, Jordan Gordeev wrote:
>> I would disagree that that makes it a necessary part.  You could use
>> something other than TCP - if gdb supports serial lines, for example,
>> you could use a pty; even if gdb doesn't support anything but TCP out
>> of the box, you could always hack on gdb as necessary.
>>
> gdb does support serial lines. I knew that pty can be used for emulating
> a terminal, but I was unsure whether it can be used for emulating a
> serial port.
> Hacking on gdb is not an option. I will not do it, and even if I did it,
> who would maintain it?

Adding another remote transport is not a big deal. (I've done it,
haven't gotten it merged upstream but haven't gotten around to trying,
either.)

Don't use this constraint as the centerpiece of your design decisions.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost