Re: remote kernel debugging over a network

> I have to make a decision about the protocol that will be used for
> remote kernel debugging.

> My question is: Should I go with a custom protocol (+ a daemon that
> proxies to TCP), or should I go with TCP directly?

My opinion, which is probably worth approximately what you paid for it:
custom protocol built directly atop Ethernet (ie, not IP-based).

It seems to me that, for this application, the downsides of TCP
outweigh the upsides.

> (TCP is a necessary part, because gdb has a built-in ability to speak
> its remote debug protocol over TCP.)

I would disagree that that makes it a necessary part.  You could use
something other than TCP - if gdb supports serial lines, for example,
you could use a pty; even if gdb doesn't support anything but TCP out
of the box, you could always hack on gdb as necessary.

It's probably *desirable* to use something gdb supports out of the box,
yes, but it's hardly *necessary*.

\ / Ribbon Campaign