Re: Dead ports [Re: config(5) break down]

> > > I *do* think it's a useful datapoint to note that sun2, pmax, algor, etc.
> > > are never, ever downloaded any more.
> >
> > Right, and these dead ports must be euthanized.  The mountain of
> > unused device drivers and core kernel code is a signficant hinderance to
> > people working in the kernel.
>
> Fully agree (as one having this pain too).
>
> For those single developers who still have such machines, as a "hardware
> replacement" and moral compensation, TNF could buy some new ARM or MIPS
> board for hacking.  Would be a win-win case, would not?

Probably we should ask Core and Boards what's the best for TNF.

I'm afraid there is no win-win case among many paranoiac geeks we have,
but I won't hesitate to abandon all my machines and devices
if it's better for TNF. No replacements are required.

IMO, "tier"ing ports might be better for us than "best or die" scheme.
In that case you can leave unused ports and devices in dead state.
---
Izumi Tsutsui