Re: config(5) break down

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Masao Uebayashi
<uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Let me clarify:
>
> - NetBSD is used for many purposes.
> - The official binary should choose the sane default
>  - FFS_EI enabled by default
>  - XIP would be disabled by default
> - While leave developers freedom to customize NetBSD more.

Err, no.  BOTH developers and users should have the freedom to
customize NetBSD, not only developers.  And, of course, users should
not have to rebuild anything, ever.  If we can't provide such a
binary-friendly system, we have failed as developers.  And it's
possible to provide such a system, as has been proven by Solaris,
Windows and, increasingly, Linux.

(That doesn't mean developers shouldn't have the ability to rebuild
from source.  Of course they should, that's the joy of open source!
But being open source is not an excuse to provide a system that cannot
be customized when distributed in binary form.  Otherwise, that's no
different than the "no documentation because you can read the source"
policy...)

--
Julio Merino