Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

In article
<70f62c5e1003091104l20b98c5ex66842f01e6f17a2d%mail.gmail.com@localhost>,
Masao Uebayashi  <uebayasi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Wow, that sucks.  Not being able to change permissions (and less importantly,
>> mv or rm the device files) would definitely be a problem.
>
>Could you show me use cases how it sucks?  I need more use cases.

- I want to present a subset of devices to a chrooted devfs.
- I want to give a different set of permissions than the default.
- I want to be able to call a device by a different (symbolic name) without
  using symlinks.
- I want to prevent access to the device completely by not providing a device
  node.
- I want to preserve those changes across boots.
- I want to be able to move all my disk devices to a subdirectory.

christos