Re: (Semi-random) thoughts on device tree structure and devfs

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:59:23PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> - I want to prevent access to the device completely by not providing a device
>   node.
> - I want to preserve those changes across boots.

These two are traditionally a source of real problems for devfs or
arrangements like it.  I had an Irix system once where I wanted to be sure
disks attached to the external scsi connectors -- used only for a
tape drive -- couldn't be used.

What a pain that was.  Yet the internal disk slots were fully populated
and I knew what device names they'd attach as.  It should have been the
easiest thing in the world to just not keep device nodes around for any
other disks.  Instead, I got a day-long odessey of struggle with SGI's
udevd-like setup and its magic startup scripts... it shouldn't be that
hard.  In fact, it shouldn't be hard at all!

Thor