Re: Implementation of POSIX shared memory objects

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Right, but this is dependency on tmpfs, which one might not necessary want
> > to have. I think it is not that friendly for embedded devices too.
>
> You know that Linux is doing that for general SysV IPC? I don't think it
> is a worse deal than another arbitrary memory sink in kernel space. It
> is not even guarantied to be simpler in the kernel, if you also want to
> allow swap backing.

What do you mean by "sink in kernel space"? It uses the same anonymous memory
objects as tmpfs. Also, I believe this way consumes less memory than tmpfs.

Not sure what do you mean by simplicity point. Memory can be swapped out. It
can be easily made wired too.

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas