Re: Equivalent of the system call sendfile

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 12:02:18AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 07:43:06PM +0000, Wouter Klouwen wrote:
>
> > So, you can use:
> >     void *addr = mmap(NULL, length, PROT_READ, MAP_FILE | MAP_SHARED,
> >             file descriptor, offset);
> >     send(socket, addr, length, 0);
>
> Although you'd be better limiting the length of each mmap.
> Otherwise you can run out of process VM for very large files.

Perhaps we should provide sendfile in libc, as an appropriate wrapper
around mmap() and write().

On the other hand, perhaps encouraging use of this duplicative and,
honestly, pretty much dumb API is not something we should do.  If it
did anything meaningful with a non-blocking socket...

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost