Re: 4.0 chroots, threading, and builds

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Andrew Doran wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:25:25AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 04:58:46PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

- Problems identified years ago do not seem to have been fixed.

We have been living with them for years, I can't see why it would now
be a showstopper.

We are not living with them any more, because a massive engineering effort
was made to fix them. They're fixed with the new threading model in 5.0.

Sure, but we're talking about pre-5.0 binairies, that use the old
threading model.

Those binaries will continue to work with a 5.0 kernel and libraries.
Please stop propogating disinformation.

So it's not a 4.x userland anymore, it won't work with a 4.x kernel.
Unacceptable for me.

If a one line addition to /etc/ld.so.conf is acceptable for you, then it
fits your use case nicely (regularly swapping back and forth between 4.0 and
5.0 kernels).

        To make the migration process as easy as possible you would
        want to add this new pthread compat library to 4.x and 3.x,
        plus a sysctl_variable using line to ld.so.conf to cause
        it to be used in a 5.x and later kernel. That way a 4.1 or
        3.2 system could have a 5.x kernel dropped in and 'just
        work'. Unfortunately that doesn't help 4.0 and 3.1 users.

        I think the new pthread compat library is a great way for
        5.x users to run 4.x and earlier binaries in chroot and
        similar, but its not the best way to for many sysadmins to
        migrate from 4.0 to 5.0 in the same way they have done for
        many releases - for that revivesa wins.

        Revivesa should definitely be a COMPAT option, and it default
        to on for 5.0, but maybe off (or even retired) for a future
        release...