4.0 chroots, threading, and builds

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 04:58:46PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > - Problems identified years ago do not seem to have been fixed.
>
> We have been living with them for years, I can't see why it would now
> be a showstopper.

We are not living with them any more, because a massive engineering effort
was made to fix them. They're fixed with the new threading model in 5.0.

> > - No practical benefit over 1:1 threading has been demonstrated.
>
> chroot /my_netbsd3_root && /usr/pkg/bin/perl
> won't work with a current kernel, it will work with revivesa (once the above
> bug is fixed). This is a *huge* benefit.

Ok, I have made this possible. On your chroot host do this in a -current
source tree:

cd src/lib/libpthread
export USETOOLS=no
make PTHREAD__COMPAT=1
cp obj/libpthread.so.0 /chroot/usr/lib

> But it seems you don't want to hear this argument.

The argument no longer stands.

Cheers,
Andrew