Re: HEADS UP NetBSD lvm support

On Aug,Friday 29 2008, at 12:03 PM, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 01:06:59AM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:
Hi folks,
[snip]
  TODO:

  1) review locking I will probably allow only one ioctl call to be
inside dm driver
     at time.

  2) Write snapshot driver only skeleton was written yet.

We already have fss(4) for file system snapshots.
What is the advantage of this driver over fss?

It allows creation of snapshots on device level not on fs. It is independent from file-system and allow you to backup e.g. xen domu which runs on LV on dom0.

I think where I use lvm snapshots on linux is xen server where I can create
similar machines with snapshoting one real device.

This target is not must to have. It only adds more functionality to my current driver
and it is not needed to run basic lvm functinality.

Regards

Adam.