[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
HEADS UP NetBSD lvm support
Today I have committed couple of changes to haad-dm branch. With these
latest changes I was able to use lvremove, lvextend, lvreduce etc..
I believe that haad-dm is currently in a good shape and it only needs
more testing to fix all possible outstanding bugs. for all brave testers
I have created new chapter in NetBSD Guide about lvm support .
Instructions how to test lvm:
1) update src/sys and src/external to haad-dm branch.
2) if you kernel supports new modules build new module in src/sys/
build new kernel with this line pseudo-device dm line. Load
module/ reboot new kernel.
3) build lvm2tools and libdevmapper in src/external/gpl2/ and install
4) use tools lvm to manage your lvm devices.
lvm pvcreate /dev/raw_disk_device # create Physical Volume *
lvm vgcreate vg00 /dev/raw_disk_device #create Volume Group-> pool
of available disk space.
lvm lvcreate -L20M -n lv1 vg00 # create Logical volume aka Logical
newfs -F -s 20M /dev/vg00/rlv1 # newfs without -F and -s doesn't
mount /dev/vg00/lv1 /mnt # Enjoy
After reboot you can activate all existing LV in system with
lvm vgchange -a y
You can use
lvm lvdisplay vgdisplay pvdisplay to see at status of your LVM
You can also use lvm lvextend/lvreduce to change size of LV.
I haven't tested my driver on SMP system there are probably some
bugs in locking
so be aware of it :) and do not try to extend/reduce partition
(something bad can happend).
1) review locking I will probably allow only one ioctl call to be
inside dm driver
2) Write snapshot driver only skeleton was written yet.
3) Add ioctls needed to correct newfs functionality. I tried to
in device-mapper.c::dmgetdisklabel but it doesn't work still.
4) Write lvm rc.d script to enable LVM before disk mount so we can
use lvm for
* If you are using disklabel partition a as raw_disk_device it MUST
start after disklabel
blocks. Offset of a partition should be 65s.
P.S. I will not be able to answer any bug mails till sunday.
Main Index |
Thread Index |