Re: DRM and VIA Chipset

joel%carnat.net@localhost said:
> I've compiled wip/MesaLib-dri-7.0.2nb1 and xf86-video-via-0.2.2.
> [...]
> But I have an issue when trying to run MPlayer : it can't use XV.

Fwiw, I've seen similar problems with the intel driver
until recently. Xv didn't work when a compositor was
active. Are you using a compositing window manager?
This has improved with xf86-video-intel-2.2.0 -- Xv
did work, but there were performance problems. I'm
currently testing 2.2.1, the performance seems to have
improved.
So I'd blame the xf86-video-via driver. Unfortunately
there doesn't seem to be much development...

> I can go back to non-DRM kernel but I was hopping to get better MPlayer
> performance with it (the CPU is a VIA C3).

Is there some specific video codec support in the via graphics which
DRM could make use of?
Otherwise, I'd suggest to tune the mplayer compile-time
options if you didn't already.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Harald Bolt,
Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt