Re: ISA direct config of ACPI devices

(Reading up on some REALLY old mail, just wanted to fan the flames a little :-)

On Nov 22, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Matthias Drochner wrote:

jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost said:
When it comes down to it, these ACPI / PNPBIOS enumerated devices are
ISA  devices anyway.

No, they are made compatible of course, but the logical structures
within current chipsets are different. There is no address aliasing
anymore. And the devices don't go away if you disable the PCI-ISA
bridge. (Actually, the bridge's io/mem space enable bits are read only
on my box.) So having these devices attached to acpi (or whatever
virtual mainbus) reflects reality better than having them on isa.

Except "acpi" isn't a bus (neither is "pnpbios" or "isapnp", for that matter). It's a way of getting device location information.

I no longer particularly like attaching devices to "enumeration methods". Better attach them to the actual bus they live on.

-- thorpej