Re: Status of syspkgs

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> I had several talks with somebody (who occassionally also
> contributes stuff) about NetBSD's current distribution. All in all,
> his resume was that NetBSD imports too much stuff to base, which is
> then just left there unmaintained.  He reported about security stuff
> not being fixed, but the pkgsrc versions were better maintained.

Who was that?

does the source matter if the criticism is still valid?

The source may help us to assess whether the criticism is valid. It's one thing to make vague statements about "security stuff not being fixed", but if you don't give examples, and you don't identify yourself as somebody with a track record of making correct statements about security, then your vague statements don't count for much.

--apb (Alan Barrett)