Status of syspkgs

Hi,

I had several talks with somebody (who occassionally also contributes stuff)
about NetBSD's current distribution. All in all, his resume was that NetBSD
imports too much stuff to base, which is then just left there unmaintained.
He reported about security stuff not being fixed, but the pkgsrc versions
were better maintained.

He had some suggestions about how stuff should be handled. About having a set
that includes all the external software, about being able to update base
packages from pkgsrc, etc. It is also about flexibility and updating the
system. E.g. always downloading the whole tarset for updating a single
package might be overkill, plus adding further problems with probably other
patched files in base.

All in all, we summarized, this was exactly the issue being addressed by
syspkgs about nine years ago.
So: What is the current status of syspkgs? And what direction shall be taken,
is there an overview of what architecture can be expected, or is it an
ongoing discussion?

Regards, Julian