Re: NetBSD and root fs

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:47:14AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> >What I mean is to upgrade some of the files like kernel, files in /etc,
>
> Ah. That's not "firmware".

I think "firmware" is referred to as the kernel/miniroot in this case,
living on a read-only flash could possibly justify the term whether
correct or not.

> >or e.g. to be able change the layout of the website used to configure
> >the router.
>
> In NetBSD, you just replace the files you want to replace, and that's it.
> At worst, you have to reboot (for kernel) or restart some service to read
> new/changed files. Again, this is standard NetBSD operation - maybe see
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/part-compile.html, src/BUILDING and
> src/UPDATING for some ideas.

In this case the files would be embedded in the kernel/miniroot and
loaded somewhere in RAM. How large can the miniroot be? I guess it is
also a question of available RAM. I think the intention was to keep all
needed files in the miniroot, including web server etc.  If the miniroot
can hold the needed fs then it would be possible to overwrite the embedded
kernel/miniroot and reboot to have upgraded "the firmware". Or is it
possible to overwrite the kernel/miniroot and also replace files in RAM
of a running system?

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken