Re: NetBSD and root fs

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:24:56 +0200 (CEST)
Hubert Feyrer <hubert%feyrer.de@localhost> wrote:

First of all, thanks a lot for your help Huber.

> there is no "loading" of the memory filesystem. It's already in RAM when
> the kernel is loaded (because it's embedded into the kernel). This is
> different in NetBSD than in Linux (and you don't need no fiddling with
> kernel modules in NetBSD either - everything's compiled in and good).

How would you do a "firmware" upgrade on a running NetBSD system ?
Any ideas how it can be done ?
Would it be possible to just upload new kernel image to a rw mounted file
system and overwrite existing one mounting the root fs rw ?
How do NetBSD folks do things like that ?

> I'm afraid there's no real good
> documentation available on the framework there, but it's pretty obvious
> once you understand that the filesystem is embedded into the kernel
> (file) that's loaded later.

I am intenting to write a HowTo/Guide for the generations to come.

--

Regards,
M. Jessa