Re: NetBSD and root fs

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:
So my question is, is that possible to do with NetBSD?

Yes. I've described you how it works.

How to load the root file system on memory disk at boot?

It's embedded inside the kernel. No seperate file (after mdsetimage).

At system build time, you make
 * a kernel (with the named options)
 * a filesystem image

You then run mdsetimage to place the filesystem image into the kernel image.

Then you boot the resulting kernel (which now contains the filesystem).
It will (should? :) have "root on md0a" or something - boot a normal NetBSD install floppy and/to see how it works! :)

I assume the option MEMORY_DISK_IS_ROOT will be used by kernel once the root-mfs is loaded.

there is no "loading" of the memory filesystem. It's already in RAM when the kernel is loaded (because it's embedded into the kernel). This is different in NetBSD than in Linux (and you don't need no fiddling with kernel modules in NetBSD either - everything's compiled in and good).

I recommend you start building a i386 NetBSD distribution, and look how things in src/distrib/i386 work. I'm afraid there's no real good documentation available on the framework there, but it's pretty obvious once you understand that the filesystem is embedded into the kernel (file) that's loaded later.

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)