Re: Utility of PV on non-obsolete hardware

On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 07:04:54PM +0200, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:
> My main colo system (an E5-1650 v2) crashed frequently, sometimes a
> dozen times per day.  I really tried hard to stabilise it with many
> different NetBSD versions (compiled from source) and several Xen
> versions (compiled from pkgsrc), but I never got the system tolerably
> stable.

I had good luck with NetBSD Dom0 on AMD hardware of the early Opteron
era (2214 and Phenom(tm) II X2 545) with Xen 4.2, 4.6 and NetBSD-6 and
-7.  HVM completely locked up the 2214 within 24hrs, (I even tried
microcode patches,) but I XP and Win7 worked fine under HVM on the
Phenom.  I used the ocaml version of xenstore -- it seemed a little more
stable.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost
  "The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity.  It