Re: domU's report "Out of memory allocating ksiginfo for pid ###"

Christos Zoulas wrote:
In article <48874722.8030400%buzmo.com@localhost>, Mike Bowie
<mbowie%buzmo.com@localhost> wrote:

<snip>

So to go along with my nice dom0, I've installed a couple of NetBSD domU's, also running 4.99.54... and this is where my "real trouble" starts. If I perform any "strenuous" activity on either domU it consumes 100% of it's RAM and 100% of it's available CPU time. If I'm on a xen console and I send it a couple of cr's (and I'm lucky) it will output "Out of memory allocating ksiginfo for pid ###". Ultimately, all I can do is "xm destroy" the domU and start it again.

If they're idle or doing little, there's no problem... but if I build a large package, install a large package or cvsup, they'll top out and choke. One domU has just 128MB of RAM, while the other has 1GB... the former dies much sooner than the latter.

<snip>

Write some debugging code to print the number of siginfo pending entries
per process and lwp when you run out so you can see where they are all
going.

christos

Christos,

Thank you for the reply. Given my lack of specific NetBSD experience, I had hoped to avoid the overhead of familiarizing myself with the source tree etc; however in light of your response, I think perhaps it's a good reason to dive in and do so. (Although in all honesty, I had hoped someone would point out something fundamentally simple which I had overlooked!)

Having had some more time to muse over the issue, I think I'm going to see about pulling my environment closer to HEAD and see where that takes me; I'd likely fall into despair were I to hack my way to a solution which was already in the upstream repo. ;-) On the other hand, should I manage to replicate the issue on a more recent build, I'll roll my sleeves up and see if I can step up to the challenge.

Thanks again for your reply; every little insight feeds into the solution.

Cheers,

Mike.