Re: Clock drift and other open issues: Collecting information

On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 01:48:26PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Um. Correction - my simh 8650 instance only have 64M, but is running through
> the build just fine, while my 4000/90 with 128M is failing with memory
> exhausted.
> swap is at 256M on each.
>
>   Johnny

Way back, Glen posted about his build environment - here is the snippit
that I saved (and used).  I ended up using three disk images as I had
a 4GB limit on each, and assigned 256M swap via each one (so my build
I had 3/4 G of swap).

You'll want to have a healthy amount of swapspace setup... right now I'd
suggest 512MB or better. And set your shell limts to something like:

cputime      unlimited
filesize     unlimited
datasize     524288 kbytes
stacksize    8192 kbytes
coredumpsize 0 kbytes
memoryuse    58296 kbytes
memorylocked 19432 kbytes
maxproc      148
maxthread    2048
openfiles    548
sbsize       unlimited
vmemoryuse   524288 kbytes

(which I do with this, in csh:
limit maxproc unlimited
limit datasize unlimited
limit stacksize unlimited
limit coredumpsize 0
limit openfiles unlimited
limit vmemoryuse unlimited
)

I should also mention that I commented out in the root crontab
the daily and weekly entries (the monthly was already commented out).
I got clobbered on an earlier build by some nasty bloat due to the
daily job running something or other.