Re: Clock drift and other open issues: Collecting information

On Wed, 2023-12-27 16:46:41 -0500, Ken Wellsch <kwellsch%tampabay.rr.com@localhost> wrote:
[...]
> It seems like quite a reasonable drift rate to me, and it got here without
> a lot of horrible never-ending thrashing like I saw when trying to use
> the stock "iburst" rapid convergence tag that does work very well on
> "modern" equipment with gigabit NICs and fast networks.

My /60 is now downstairs and has network connectivity, with `dhcpcd`,
`ntpdate` and `ntpd` started.

  While it as a stable 100 Hz time (some 2 to 4 seconds drift (being
slow) per day), it won't get (or keep for long) NTP synchronization.
It may get sync, but offset will get large, loose sync, ...

  While reading about ntpd, I noticed that it mentions to use 64bit fp
values. Also noticed

root@lili:/var/cache/git/NetBSD-src/external/bsd/ntp [trunk] # find|grep ieee
./dist/include/ieee754io.h
./dist/libparse/ieee754io.c

I haven't really checked the code, but I've got a feeling right now...

MfG, JBG