Re: Emulated VAX build done!

> A long time ago (about two weeks) Mouse wrote:

>>	MicroVAX II
>>	total memory = 16372 KB
>>	panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 6c pc 80018730
>>	panic: ptelen fault in system space: addr 70 pc 8001878a
>>	Stopped in  at  _arithflt+0x22a:        movl    $5, r0
>>	db>

>> I don't have a real KA630 set up to try this on, so I don't know
>> whether it's a bug in the emulator or a bug in the kernel I'm
>> booting.

> I have several KA630 boards and one is even installed in a working, but effe$

I may take you up on that.  I have instruction traces of a working boot
and a failed boot; I need to slog through them and figure out where the
relevant divergence is.  But knowing whether a real KA630 fails the
same way would be of interest.

> That said, a question comes up: why are we working with old versions of NetB$

Are _we_?  _I_ am, but it's not clear to me anyone else is.

I am for two reasons.  One is, I don't run anything past 5.2 on my own
machines for licensing reasons.  The other is, I'm using 1.4T instead
of 5.2 because 1.4T is significantly smaller, and on a 16M machine it
doesn't take much smaller to make a difference - and for most of my use
cases, 1.4T is plenty useful enough.  If I ever find something I want
to use NetBSD/vax for for which 5.2 will do better than 1.4T, I may try
to run 5.2.

If others find the licensing acceptable and want to work on more recent
NetBSD, more power to 'em.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign