Re: Emulated VAX build done!

Back some two-three weeks ago, I wrote about having my VAX emulator
doing a build of the 1.4T world.

I've actually had two such runs going; I started a second build of the
same world on different host hardware.  One of them is still going, but
the other finished last night.

Excellent!

Still going: running on NetBSD/i386 on

How'd that one turn out?

for a speed ratio of about 1.543.  I don't know how much of the
difference is NetBSD versus Linux and how much is the hardware; my
guess is that it's almost entirely the hardware, possibly with a small
admixture of compiler version.

That doesn't make much sense. The Linux machine is 2.6 GHz, plus does turbo clocking to 3.5 GHz, whereas the Pentium 4 at 1.6 GHz would give a ratio of 1.6 to 1, even if we didn't take in to consideration all of the IPC improvements. Something is slowing down the Linux machine considerably.

John