Re: installboot is broken

On 2013-04-11 21:22, Rhialto wrote:
On Sun 24 Mar 2013 at 22:28:30 +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
I think I started running NetBSD on the 8650 in the 1.6 timeframe.

By the way, I am currently trying the simh vax8600 from the git
repository. I use the branch with the fixed VMB.EXE so that it boots the
install cd (remotes/origin/VAX-11-BootBlock-Fixup).

If I boot it off the NetBSD-6.1RC2.iso install cd, using the patched
VMB.EXE, it starts the boot loader, loads and decompresses the kernel
(which takes ages), and then prints only a C and then freezes. I suppose
it is the first character of the kernel output, trying to say "Copyright
blah Regents of blah".

The CPU is running in some big loop somewhere, one can see that if you
turn on cpu history, or steps through the code using the STEP command
from simh.

Could be a bug in either simh or NetBSD of course.

It's a known problem. Sorry for not mentioning it. The console subsystem in simh don't work like the real machine. However, I have rewritten the console subsystem for NetBSD on the 86x0, so my local copy is working right, since it uses the console subsystem in a different way, in which simh works right.

        Johnny