Re: VAX RPB (Restart Parameter Block)

Roger Ivie wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> >So the question is now how I can tell NetBSD that it should leave this area
> >alone and 2nd how I can find out which memory area(s) this is on a
> >particular
> >system in a more generic way as hacking it in the sourcecode directly.
>
> The console firmware is supposed to pass some information to the
> bootstrap, including a pointer to a bitmap of available memory. The
> operating system is supposed to use the bitmap to stay away from bad
> memory.
>
> I don't know the details because I've never written a VAX bootstrap...
> --
> roger ivie
> rivie%ridgenet.net@localhost

Yes, the question is how it dows this (clear to me that you're not knowing
this).
Ragge wrote sometimes before as I had questions about the memory size, that
NetBSD is looking itself for the mem size, if it couldn't get this info
from the bootstrap.
To find such a pointer I must know how te data structure may be looking,
other VAXen have the console mailbox in the Clock chip, this one somewhere
in the DRAM.. Don't know where they have hided this map at all..

Regards,

Holm

  www.tsht.de, info%tsht.de@localhost, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741