Re: NetBSD installation woes on Sun Blade 100

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 11:55:45PM +0200, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> If I remember correctly, you need to use
>
>    setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x60
>
> Note the "r".

Yes, sorry, typoed when mailing from a different machine.

I actually have screen:r1280x1024x75 on this one (but obviously it depends
on the capabilities of the monitor you are using).

Now what this all gets down to: there are several possible issues here that
make it not work, and we are trying to figure out what it is:

 - mach64 will follow EDID data from the display and (eroneously) switch
   to a resolution it does not have enough framebuffer for - IIRC this has
   been fixed, but I am not sure of the state for the netbsd-9 branch
 - kernel stack usage is high in some of the edid parsing functions and
   depending on actual hardware configuration this may cause a stack
   overflow on some machines (this is why John's kernel has a larger
   kernel stack). This has been fixed in -current but not yet pulled
   up to the netbsd-9 branch
 - something else is wrong with the display or edid communication fails
   and the display mode selected is totally off - this will be more easy
   to check once the system is setup and has network, so we can get at
   kernel messages after the display turned black

Connor: can you try a different monitor? What resolutions does the monitor
provide? But first please test with the proper screen:r.... setting (adapted
to the capabilities of your monitor).

Martin