Re: NetBSD installation woes on Sun Blade 100

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:50 AM Sevan Janiyan <venture37%geeklan.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> Probably best if you can get a serial console setup and see if you can
> boot the machine that way. Perhaps that way you'll catch the message the
> flys past.
>

> Sevan

It seems to be an issue with NetBSD since at least 2018. I have found
similar reports and discussion for other users of the Sun Blade 100,
but it is affecting also the Ultra 5. Another report was also earlier
this year on this mailing list.

Ati chipsets seem to be affected.

A kind soul has posted a modified install iso in a report of the
problem on reddit, where the kernel is modified not to use the Ati
framebuffer but a general PCI one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NetBSD/comments/h7drub/netbsd_hangs_on_install_disk_advice_needed_to/

I will try that next but am not sure how this would affect running
Xorg and if it will run with its own driver unaffected from what the
kernel does.

Regards,
Connor