Re: NetBSD installation woes on Sun Blade 100

Hi,

i can't tell you for sure what it does. I think it is continuing, but
without a screen signal.
You can see the symptoms in videos on the Blade 100 in the reddit link
i have posted above and on the Ultra 5 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXH6TgBaFg

The TFT screens i am using just report loss of signal. Nothing is
there that they could analyze.
The CD iso posted in the reddit link seems to work using not the
mach64fb but some generic PCI fb (maybe this is what you mean by
genfb).

Because it might still be a few different things, would you mind trying these things in order to see if we can narrow things down?

The first is Martin's suggestion of setting the video mode in OF, then booting the standard NetBSD ISO:

setenv output-device screen:1024x768x60

The second is trying this ISO, perhaps also with the 1024x768 screen mode:

https://www.klos.com/~john/NetBSD-9.0_STABLE-sparc64_24june2020.iso

As i am booting from an install (and also i am a bit new to NetBSD), i
am unsure how i would pass genfb to the kernel or bootprocess on thee
official cd iso...any help is appreciated.

I think you indicated that the genfb installer ISO I posted on Reddit works, yes? But really, you want machfb to work. So what you can do is you can use the ISO I posted to install NetBSD, then we can try a few different kernels by simply replacing them / booting them from OF instead of making a new installation ISO each time.

Let us know how it goes!

John