Re: Netbooting a sparc64

On May 7, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 03:46:45PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>>  Might this be another case of "not waiting long enough for the ethernet to
>> become sync'd up"?  Does ofwboot do anything that would cause the ethernet
>> hardware to reset or renegotiate it's link?
>
> yeah - and you might try a ofwboot from -current, it retries this part
> a few times.

Chris had said

"The next step, however, is a sunrpc (udp/111) request so that it can NFS mount
root, and the i386 host seems never to respond."

Any chance the i386 box is running IPMI onboard, and is silently eating the RPC
packet(s)?

On all of my RPC/NFS-using Linux machines at work, we've had to add

sunrpc.min_resvport = 665

to /etc/sysctl.conf to work around this IPMI scourge.  Silent Packet Eaters
Suck.

        - Greg