Re: Netbooting a sparc64

On May 7, 2010, at 2:59 PM, <rjs%fdy2.demon.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> You haven't described how the sparc64 system is told where to look for the
> NFS root. Are you using DHCP or rpc.bootparamd ?

  You're right.  Apologies for various lacks of information.

  I'm using rarp, tftp, and dhcp.  Or at least, that's what I mean to be doing.
 rarp is working, and tftp seems to be working.  I'm not 100% sure how the
sparc knows who to contact for the NFS root, though.  That's likely my problem.
 How is that normally done?

  This host doesn't have a bootparams file, and as I've done this sort of
booting from this server before, I assume that I wasn't using rpc.bootparamd.
My DHCP server has the following block in it, which I believe is what I was
using to specify this:

# A diskless boot host
group {
  # server to NFS from, and path to mount as root...
  next-server 206.138.151.36;
  host diskless-sparc64 {
#    hardware ethernet 08:00:20:a1:8b:f8;
    hardware ethernet 00:03:ba:05:e4:7a;
    fixed-address 206.138.151.49;
    option root-path "/export/sparc64/nfsroot";
  }
}

  The sparc boot, which I also should've included in my earlier email, shows:

Executing last command: boot net
Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ethernet@c  File and args:
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.13
bootp: no reply
Using BOOTPARAMS protocol: ip address: 206.138.151.49bootparamd: 'whoami' call
failed
open netbsd: Unknown error: code 60
Failed to load 'netbsd'.
: trying netbsd.gz...
bootp: no reply
Using BOOTP protocol: ip address: 206.138.151.49, netmask: 255.255.255.0
root addr=0.0.0.0 path=
Fast Data Access MMU Miss
ok

  Thanks...