Re: SUN Ultra 5 HDD compatibility

>>>>> "m" == Michael  <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>>>>> "dm" == der Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:

     m> That doesn't make "that's not it because I say so" any more
     m> convincing though.

not what I said, but the thinking behind my terse reply was to make
you say ``huh?  why is he being rude in an unusually short way?'' and
realize yuo had not read the original message carefully so you could
go reread it.  Note that we had the same discussion years ago so
repetition did not seem to be working.  If you are saying information
was there but was not ``clear'', well,...come on.  I figured the more
I wrote the less you were likely to read.  I figured terseness was
also more polite than ``reread, please'' and less noisy than repeating
myself just so you could have yet another potentially failed go at
reading.  However this ``huh?'' trick only works if you respect the
original author.  unfortunate miscalculation on my part.  I'll
therefore fall back on the usual pattern of wasting your time in
retaliation for wasting mine.

    >> [...], you'd realize my claim [is] that *all* ordinary PeeCee
    >> PCI slots are 5V only, not just ones ``of similar age'', [...]

    dm> This is actually not true, unless you define "ordinary" in a
    dm> way that implies "5V", in which case it becomes true but
    dm> tautological and thus uninteresting.  Most peecee PCI slots
    dm> I've seen are the same voltage (presumably 5V; I never
    dm> bothered to learn which position corresponds to which
    dm> voltage), but I have seen the other one occasionally.

dude....WHATEVER!  How about we define normal as ``overwhelming
majority'' and ``not odd in some other obvious way than the voltage.''
3.3V slots are exotic.  Normal slots are 5V.  There are no
dual-voltage slots, only dual-voltage cards, and the latter with
skepticism.  The voltage of normal slots has not changed over time so
there is no ``of similar age.''  The rest is pseudophilosophical
chicken scratching and pointless contraryness.

3.3V slots may be found in the following exotic places and others:

 * cardbus, minipci

 * 64-bit slots, in particular >33MHz slots, a.k.a. PCI-X, especially
   on Sun but not all PCI-X.  for example, Alpha often had 64-bit 5V
   slots.

 * embedded boards, especially all-3.3V boards

Normal slots are 5V.  The definition of the word ``normal'' comes from
the fact that all cards known to work in PCI generally, must be able
to work in 5V slots, which was the relevant fact for this discussion.
None of this has changed through the entire life of PCI.  I've now
repeated myself three times, or more if you count the time we went
through the same caccophonus merry-go-round years ago, so I yeild the
last word to y'all.