Re: SUN Ultra 5 HDD compatibility

On Jan 26, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:

>    cr> currently available SATA or ATA-133 [...] PCI card [...] that
>    cr> the PROM can boot off of.
>
> no, you can't do that.  That's crazy.  the PROM can barely boot off
> the internal chip, much less a card.

I hate to let facts get in the way of a good rant, but see
http://netbsd.org/ports/sparc64/faq.html#pci-cards

I've been thinking about this myself lately.  PATA drives are becoming more and
more impractical, and I'm looking for a SATA controller to put in an Ultra 5.

I gave up on the bootability front.  On an Ultra 5 I use a CF->IDE adapter to
boot off of the onboard controller.  The hard disk is connected to a Silicon
Image 0680 controller.  I have no idea if anyone is still selling cards with
that chipset.

As for SATA, I've got a Silicon Image 3512 that works great in an Ultra 60.
The card, unfortunately, doesn't work with my Ultra 5.  Just so you know what
to avoid, the card is a Rosewill RC-210.