Re: SUN Ultra 5 HDD compatibility

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 04:09:33PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> >In port-sparc64, T.Volka wrote:
[..]
> >OTOH, the IDE controller on the U5/U10 is soooo slow that it might
> >be more
> >fun to get a IDE-to-CF adaptor, boot from a 1G CF card, and put a real
> >hard disk on a SATA adapter...
>
> Or, in case you have such equipment sitting around, stick a SymBIOS
> 53cXXX and a SCSI disk in there, the firmware ROM has support for most
> of them. I used an ASUS-badged 53x875 ( obviously with PC firmware )
> in my U10 ages ago with no hassle whatsoever.

Yes, I've played with this as well.  Unfortunately, reasonably-sized
SCSI disks tend to be insanely expensive these days, while usually not
much faster than a 1Tb SATA disk for nearly no money whatsoever...

(I've always been a fan of SCSI, but these days, my heap of incompatible
SCSI cables and adaptors plus heaps of slloooww 1G/2G/4G disks really
frustrates me...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany