Re: way forward for old sparc?

> I have a sparc classic mostly as a toy, and it's running 1.6.
> Obviously it needs new bits, [...]

I don't see this as obvious at all.  Depending on what kind of playing
you do - or want to do - with your toy, 1.6 may be just fine for you.
Even if it isn't, you may find that 2.0, or 3.1, or some such, is good
enough.  I'm still running 1.4T on all my sparc machines (though I
semi-want to push one to something newer, in my copious spare time).
(I write "sparc machines" rather than "SPARCs" because I have one
sparc64 that's got 3.1 on it, mostly because 1.4T does not really
support sparc64.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign