Re: Indigo R3000, Indigo R4000 and Indy R5000

Dear Naruaki,

On 1/6/19 20:48, Naruaki.Etomi wrote:
Dear Frank

Happy New Year.

A happy New Year for you, too! Hope to see more cool porting and development this year! :-D

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Don't worry, we only have so much time for everything. :-)

testing newly purchased machines for example, highlight: an
AlphaServer ES45 :-)

Wow, I'm jealous!
Was NetBSD successfully Installed?

No, actually not, I'm a little afraid to say on this list ;-), but it's running Debian GNU/Linux (from Debian Ports) solely up until now. But I should also try NetBSD of course. Though I hadn't much success with a DS20E and 7.1 more than a year ago...

This is from an IRIX 5.3 CDROM and it looks like`sash` for IP12 is more
then 200 KiB in size. But if I interpret the picture in your tweet ([2])
correctly, the modified `irisboot` is just below 60 KiB in size. Not
sure what the problem is then, though.

It is correct, however NetBSD kernel is larger than IRIX kernel.

--- IRIX5.3 ---
# ls -l
-rwxr-xr-x    2 root     sys      1883692 Nov  9  1994 unix
# ls -l
sashIP12 249280  bytes

IRIX kernel + sashIP12 = 2132972 bytes

--- NetBSD ---
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3580204 Jan  6 17:33 netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  61248 Jan  2 23:27 irisboot

NetBSD kernel + irisboot = 3641452

Nowadays, modern kernel have to many functions(security, network, etc.,)

I see, so the combination is the problem. And the "original" irisboot was just small enough so things could work.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Frank