Re: server

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:11:59 -0400
Michael Lorenz <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Seriously, if you want a web server running NetBSD/non-x86 you're
> better off with a Sun or a Mac. Or maybe an alpha. Or a PReP box.
> Either can be quite a bit faster than what we support here, can take
> more than one CPU ( sparc64 SMP is -current only though ), tend to
> have more PCI slots ( you may want a SATA card for instance ) and so
> on.
Seconded. IIRC PReP and ofppc now support SMP too. Though, ofppc is
still a bit experimental. But most things are done now and I expect the
last remaining issus to settle during the next weeks / months.

If you really want a SGI for use as a webserver a Origin 200 would be
the way to go. 3U 19" rackmount, one or two CPUs (180 MHz R10k
minimum), up to 2 GB RAM and lots of SCA drive bays on the front. You
can craylink it to a second O200 to double everything. Only problem:
The O200 is not supported by NetBSD. :-(

It's been some time when I run NetBSD on an Alpha (mostly AS200 and PWS
500au), but back then it was rock solid and well supported. For
UltraSPARC you really need to run -current. Instability is the nature
of -current. So you will have to find a "stable point in time" of
-current.

> Of course all that would change if we could add support for newer
> SGI boxes - mostly a problem of getting the right hardware into the
> right hands.
I can setup remote console access to my O200 for NetBSD developers. ;-)
--

tsch__,
       Jochen