Re: server

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2008, at 08:38, De Served wrote:
> > Al - image hosting services wrote:
> >>
> >> I am looking at possibly using an SGI system as a webserver. I
> >> would like
> >> to be able to put 3 drives in it and possibly an extra network
> >> card. Does
> >> anyone have any experience with this?
> >>
> > I ran an Indy as a web server for a while.   You can't put three
> > drives in it, but you can put two drives in it.   You can also
> > attach external drives.   I don't have any experience with putting
> > a second network interface card ("NIC") in the Indy, but I do know
> > that second NICs are available.
> >
> > The Indy performed rather well with Apache.   My server didn't get
> > a lot of traffic, but the 150 MHz  R5000SC MIPS processor in it
> > didn't have any problems keeping up.
>
> An R5k O2 might be a better match - it's got two SCA drive bays ( and
> an external UW-SCSI port on a separate channel ), onboard fast
> ethernet and a 64bit PCI slot for a 2nd NIC. I use an ex in mine:
> ex0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0: 3Com 3c905C-TX 10/100 Ethernet with
> mngmt (rev. 0x74)
> ex0: interrupting at crime interrupt 10
> bmtphy0 at ex0 phy 24: Broadcom 3c905C internal PHY, rev. 6
> bmtphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I would need something that is comparable in performance to an Apple G3
blue & white. I am not sure how the mips would compare. Also, I don't
know how I could get away without having a 3 drive (for performance
reasons), this is one of the issues that I have now. Any suggestions would
be great.

Thanks,
Al