Re: PPC440

On Aug 9, 2012, at 4:19 PM, Matt Thomas <matt%3am-software.com@localhost> wrote:

>>> 440 fits under booke.  Support just hasn't risen to the top of my stack
>>> but I designed the booke support so the 440 can just slide right in.
>>
>> What needs to be added to support 440 under book? I guess at least TLB is
>> different than in currently supported booke CPUs?
>
> basically, interrupt control, tlb management, and peripherals.

Could you point me in the right direction? I have a nice PPC460ex-based board
here, it's a shame to see it not running NetBSD :-). 460ex has a 440 core
despite the name. I have obtained the PPC440 User's Manual. Now I have some
free time, so I could work on it, but my knowledge in these areas is still
lacking*.

I've read http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/porting_netbsd_arm_soc.html but it
seems that situation with PPC440 is a bit more complicated, due to this missing
low-level stuff.

Do I need a JTAG interface to debug the early boot, before I add serial port
support? The board has U-Boot firmware, is it possible to call U-Boot to print
debug messages?

* - lacking as in "I barely know what I am doing"

--
Best regards,
Radoslaw Kujawa