Re: multi-architecture powerpc CD?

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 09:28:36AM +0200, Harold Gutch wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 06:11:24PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> > 4) Is it possible to put symlinks on a cd?  If so, we could share some of
> > the
> > common sets between the arches to save space.  If not, is there another
> > trick
> > we could use?
>
> I don't know if mkisofs supports this in any way, but you can of
> course create some kind of hardlinks, sectors on the filesystem that
> are referenced by multiple directory entries.  If nothing else, it
> should be very easy write a small "mklink" tool that changes the
> sector and size of a file on a cd9660 file system.  Then first create
> the file system with dummy files (e.g. 1 byte files), and after that
> run the tool on that file system.

I perhaps should have looked at the mkisofs(8) manpage before writing
this mail - it appears that the parameter "-cache-inodes" does exactly
what I described.  This does not depend on the existence or the
availability of Rock Ridge extentions, so it should be slightly more
compatible than symbolic links.

bye,
  Harold