Re: uxterm issue on pmax X11 (Was: Missing X binary)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 at 15:19, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Dec 2021 at 11:31, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > OK, so this is... odd.
> >
> > uxterm fails on pmax running Xorg 1.10 (with local changes to build an
> > xwsfb server)
> >
> > The issue can be reproduced by setting LC_CTYPE
> >
> > $ env LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 xterm
> > X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
> >   Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
> >   Serial number of failed request:  53
> >   Current serial number in output stream: 54
> >
> > other apps report errors, but fallback to default fonts
> >
> > $ env LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 xclock -digital
> > Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> > Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset
> >
> > Will have to test a standard vax build (which should have the same xorg version)
>
> Update on this - it also happens with Xorg 1.20 on pmax, so it's not
> related to Xorg 1.10 at all. Still digging

Curiouser and curiouser
- Occurs on NetBSD/pmax (gxemul) 9.99.92, with Xorg 1.10 or 1.20, cfb
8 bit framebuffer
- Occurs with ssh -Y into an amd64 box and uxterm binary run from
there (so not related to client binaries)
- Does not occur on NetBSD/i386 (qemu) 9.99.92
- Does not occur on NetBSD/sparc 9.99.92, (qemu) on cg3 8 bit
framebuffer (closest match to cfb)

The Xorg.0.log between the sparc & pmax X servers look pretty much the
same, and the Xwsfb server is built with the ~same options.

So, I'm down to
- some compiler/port specific issue
- gxemul doing something odd

I'm very much open to suggestions/thoughts...

David